This Blog

Welcome to my blog. From August 2011 to December 2011 I travelled through Namibia and felt at home enough to say I was temporarily living there. My main goal was to work on a research project on the Pangolin, but I also got plenty of safari time and took part in some other volunteer opportunities. On this blog I did my best to keep a detailed account of my experiences.
To start from the beginning, click this link: http://emielkaza.blogspot.com/2011_04_03_archive.html

Search on my blog:

11/10/2011

How to start a generator in Namibia

I had no power by the end of today so phoned Graham (who is in Swakopmund now) asking for instructions on starting the generator. This is what I got:

1. Turn off the switch to the house power
2. Turn off the switch to the batteries
3. turn off the inverter
4. Open the fuel inlet
5. Pull on a spring lever to remove the cut-off
6. Pull out a switch to turn on an alternator
7. Attach the crankshaft
8. Pull up a lever to disable the compressor.
9. Keep the lever pulled up while spinning the crankshaft
10. Once you have some speed push the lever down
11. Once the engine starts get the crankshaft off
12. Switch on the power to the house through a separate box.

I managed to get it after calling back twice.

And I spoke to the new guy today, Sakkie, as he worked around the house. Despite his Afrikaans nickname he only speaks a little english - but better than I though. Hes an arsenal fan and apparently I remind him of Van Persie - maybe because im white.

2 comments:

  1. Remembers me how to start a lister generator on a clipper in de ront engine room

    Soemtimes in addition a special fire plug has to be lit and inserted to start the diesel banging...

    Gives a strong arm to run the cranckshaft.

    Bye the way how about solar panels ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are solar panels but it had been storming that day, the batteries arentb ig enough to last more than a day without sun.

    ReplyDelete